reclaimed crafts has moved!

Please visit us at our new website!


Wednesday, November 19

candle lit

I've been working on a variety of candle-related items recently, all of which will be featured at Makers Market at the Parlor Room.  If you are in the area, please come by and visit.  There is just an amazing line up of really talented makers and artists.

First up are simple, elegant sticks made from industrial wooden bobbins, scored from one of my favorite local haunts, Loot.  The faded layers of paint are amazing, and make you realize how hard-working these bobbins were in some long-shuttered factory somewhere in Franklin County.






Next up, a reclaimed crafts classic:  candlesticks from croquet mallets.  I have almost cleaned out my stash, which will bring me great happiness come the spring tag sale season - more croquet sets!



Also a reclaimed crafts classic - actually the project that inspired me to launch reclaimed crafts - balusters salvaged from the front of an old Hadley farm house = candlesticks.  The chippy paint gets me every time.  Simple, elegant, anchored on salvaged barn wood.



Something new for me:  tea light holders.  With all of the leftover barn board - both the Hatfield tobacco barn and the 1750 (!) Huntington barn - it didn't take much to make these beauties.  A little clever stamping, and they are ready to go.

 




Repurposing sometimes takes a village.  And collaboration with kindred spirits is the most fun.  I nipped into Studio Second Canal today.  Bruce was kind enough to open up for me because I felt I needed to have two more film reels TODAY (more on that later). But Bruce had other finds in mind.  He showed me his vintage potato ricer collection.  I've always admired ricers, but never knew what to do with them.  Bruce (rather patiently) showed me that the basket could be removed.  In an instant, a repurpose was born.

These beauties (sorry mashed potatoes)....




.... became these gorgeous candle holders.  The tiny holes send up beautiful designs of light.  




Now, what to do with the rest of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment