reclaimed crafts has moved!

Please visit us at our new website!


Sunday, October 27

I could totally make those.

Last spring I was at a craft fair in Asheville, North Carolina, which is where the Northampton hipsters winter.  I bought myself the cutest pair of earrings, which I quickly realized were made out of button covers.  Yep, I could totally make those.  But I bought them because I loved them and I like supporting other crafters.

Two weeks ago, I went to an awesome reuse rally at the voc school in town, because we are all about reuse around here.  And I found these (imagine it with the actual buttons and button bottoms in the packaging):

  
Not only were they free, but they were from Bradlees, a defunct Northeast department store.  An early Target, if you will.

You see where I'm going with this.  Of course what I didn't realize at the time is that there is a whole button cover kit, which necessitated a trip to Jo-Ann Fabric, a store for which I feel much less nostalgia.  But off I went.  Then I dug up lots of little scraps from my growing pile of vintage fabrics, quilt pieces, and cute little leftover bags from Pine Cone Hill (if you haven't gone to the tent sale and you live anywhere near Pittsfield, MA, then shame on you.  I mean....go!)

In no time at all, I produced these cuties which are posing on my industrial bobbin that my mom scored from Brimfield Flea Market. Next time you see it, it will be a lazy susan.  The ones with the vintage fabric feel very Betty Draper.










No comments:

Post a Comment